Updated March 1, 2023: The lung allocation system based on continuous distribution was originally scheduled to take effect on March 2, 2023. The lung continuous distribution policy is now expected to implement on March 9, 2023. This system notice has been updated to reflect the change in expected implementation date.
- OPTN lung transplantation committee
- Lung transplant programs
- Feb. 2, 2023
The lung Composite Allocation Score (CAS) calculator will be available on the OPTN website beginning Feb. 2, 2023 prior to the implementation of the continuous distribution of lungs expected on March 9, 2023. Programs can use this calculator to determine the CAS for their lung candidates and better understand the range of expected CAS scores for varying clinical characteristics.
Following the implementation of the proposal to Change Calculated Panel Reactive Antibody (CPRA) Calculation on Jan. 26, 2023, utilize the CPRA calculator to determine the detailed CPRA to enter in the lung CAS calculator.
The lung allocation score (LAS) calculator will be available on the OPTN website until the implementation of the Continuous Distribution of lungs expected on March 9, 2023.
Education and resources
Follow the Lung Continuous Distribution playlist on UNOS Connect to receive notifications when new trainings are added. Trainings available now:
- LUN101 Lung Review Board Member Orientation (updated for Continuous Distribution) (30 min)
- LUN102 Basic Principles of Lung Continuous Distribution (20 min)
- LUN103 Unacceptable Antigens & CPRA in Lung Continuous Distribution (15 min)
- LUN104 Scoring and Exceptions Under Lung Continuous Distribution (30 min)
- LUN105 Preparing for Implementation of Lung Continuous Distribution (webinar, one hour)
- LUN106 Lung Continuous Distribution for OPOs (15 min)
- LUN107 Continuous Distribution of Lungs for Transplant Coordinators (webinar, 45 min)
- SYS183 Using the Lung CAS Report (15 min)
- SYS186 UNetSM for Lung Continuous Distribution (30 min)
If you have questions relating to implementation, contact UNOS Customer Service at [email protected], or call 800-978-4334 from 8 am to 7 pm EST
For policy-related questions, contact [email protected].