data tools & reports
Our best ideas come from you, the user
Sarah Taranto, Principal Data Analyst, discusses the importance of feedback
- Is there data that would help you improve patient outcomes or enable your center to accept more organs?
- What data does your OPO need to improve processes?
Send your data wish list to firstname.lastname@example.org
How we collect data
UNOS developed the online database system, called UNet℠, to collect, store, analyze and publish all OPTN data that pertains to the patient waiting list, organ matching, and number of transplants performed. The OPTN tracks every organ donation and transplant event occurring in the United States since October 1, 1987.
Transplant professionals use UNet℠ to register transplant candidates on the national waiting list, match them with donated organs, and enter vital medical data on candidates, donors and transplant recipients. All 58 OPOs and over 250 transplant hospitals across the country work in the UNOS UNet℠ data portals every day, making it a constant platform for information exchange and collection.
UNOS research staff aggregate national OPTN data and analyze trends in transplantation. By tracking data at national, regional and individual center levels, UNOS researchers strive to:
- develop strategies to drive improvement
- continually refine transplantation policies to identify and address inequities in transplant
- develop system tools to allow for more efficient donor and recipient matching
- identify opportunities to increase the number of transplants
- provide benchmark reports and other tools to members in order to contribute to collective knowledge of effective organ transplantation
See at a glance how many people are on the waitlist for an organ, learn how many transplants have happened in the year to date, and see a breakdown of individual organs transplanted.
Data collection forms
See which data elements the OPTN currently collects. Transplant centers, histocompatibility laboratories, and organ procurement organizations enter data into the OPTN database in UNetSM.