The heartbeat of our lifesaving mission.
Ambassadors are United Network for Organ Sharing community volunteers and advocates raising awareness and educating the public about organ donation and transplantation, organ matching, and how UNOS runs the nation’s transplant system.
What it means to be an Ambassador
UNOS Ambassadors are passionate about organ donation, allocation and policy development. Many have a direct connection to organ donation or transplantation. Ambassador opportunities include:
- Share your transplantation journey
- Amplify UNOS’ message on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Participate in public comment
- Advocate for organ policy proposals
- Learn more and share information about transplant trends
- Show your support by giving to UNOS
As a UNOS Ambassador, you’ll receive:
Welcome orientation: UNOS Ambassadors are invited to attend a virtual orientation to meet other Ambassadors, learn best practices, policy changes, and how to advocate for UNOS.
Educational training sessions: Create a free account on UNOS Connect to learn about the waitlist, public comment, UNOS acronyms, how to use social media to share your transplant journey, and more.
Supportive community: UNOS Ambassadors receive monthly opportunities to volunteer and an invitation to join the private Ambassadors Facebook Group. By joining our private UNOS Ambassadors Facebook Group, you can communicate with other UNOS Ambassadors and share what you’ve been doing to raise awareness for UNOS, organ donation, and transplantation.
Opportunities to tell your story: UNOS Ambassadors are encouraged to share their journey with media, legislators and the general public.
Encouraging organ donation
Free from dialysis, UNOS Ambassador Monica shares her journey of receiving her kidney transplant
Living it forward
22 living donors including UNOS Ambassador Shannon Catalano climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro to demonstrate living donors can live healthy and active lives
Giving the gift of life
Living kidney donor and UNOS Ambassador, Dawn Martin shares her journey of donating her kidney to her little brother
Sharing her story
Heart recipient Jen Lentini shares the moment her donor’s mother heard her gifted heart beating strong inside her chest
Learn and connect
Educational resources and supportive community for UNOS Ambassadors
Create an account to view training on:
- Using social media for organ donation advocacy
- Waitlist 101
- Understanding Public Comment and why you should be involved
- Committee volunteerism
- UNOS acronyms
- Social media: Share your personal why
- Frequently asked questions
- Video: How it works getting listed for an organ transplant
- How we develop policy
- Learn more about living donation
- Deceased donation
- Allocation calculators
- Create a giving page
- Access free patient brochures
- Take a virtual tour of the National Donor Memorial
- Share your donor tribute story
For registered UNOS Ambassadors: join the private Facebook group
Please note: a parent or legal guardian must accompany UNOS Ambassadors who are under the age of 16 to all volunteer events.
Want to amplify your story on social media? We’ll show you how.
Have 15 minutes? Create a free account on UNOS Connect and take “Using Social Media for Organ Donation Advocacy,” developed by a social media professional. You’ll learn:
- Best practices when sharing your story
- Practical tips and strategies that make a difference
- How to maximize your impact, and
- How to leverage social media as an advocacy tool