How to apply
Membership Applications are now online for transplant programs! If you are a registered UNetSM user at a kidney, pancreas, liver, intestine, heart or lung transplant program and have been granted access to Member Community, you can now apply or amend your OPTN membership using an online tool. Access for OPOs and histocompatibility labs is coming in January 2021. Please see steps below to access Member Community and the online application forms.
How to access Member Community
If you don't already have access to UNet, request access from your site administrator. If you are unsure who your site administrator is, contact UNOS Help Desk at (800) 978-4334 or by email at email@example.com.
If you already have access to UNet, your site administrator must add you to your center's security group for Member Community.
Click the "Get started" button below to access Secure Enterprise and log in with your Secure Enterprise user ID and password.
After logging in to Secure Enterprise, you will see this icon of three people on the home page. Clicking on the icon will take you to Member Community. From there, go to Membership and select Manage program and continue to follow the prompts to access your online membership forms.
Categories of membership
- Transplant hospitals
- Organ procurement organizations
- Histocompatibility labs
- Medical/scientific members
- Public organization members
- Business members
- Individual members
Categories of membership are described in the Bylaws, Article I.
Apply using PDFs
The following membership application forms address membership both in UNOS and in the national OPTN, which UNOS manages under federal contract. The application provided shows the data elements that are currently collected. Refer to the OPTN Bylaws for further clarification regarding requirement specifics.
On this page:
For member organizations that need to add or change their designated OPTN representative.
Transplant hospital or program
For new and existing transplant hospitals.
1. These applications may be used to start transplant programs and to add or modify key transplant personnel.
- Transplant hospitals
- Heart transplant programs
- Intestine transplant programs
- Kidney transplant programs
- Liver transplant programs
- Lung transplant programs
- Pancreas transplant programs
- VCA transplant programs, find information here
- For questions regarding Islet program requirements, please contact Membership at (833) 577-9469 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. A certificate of assessment and program coverage plan must accompany any new transplant program application or key personnel change.
3. Please use the following log when documenting an individual surgeon or physician’s experience to demonstrate compliance with OPTN Bylaw Requirements.
- Membership log for surgeons or physicians (Excel spreadsheet) (updated 04/09/2021)
Organ procurement organization
For new and existing organ procurement organizations (OPOs). This application may be used to add or modify key OPO personnel.
For new and existing histocompatibility laboratories. This application may be used to add or modify key lab personnel.
A medical/scientific member is a non-profit organization whose members include medical or scientific professionals with an interest in organ donation or transplantation. This application is for medical/scientific organizations to join or renew.
- Medical/scientific membership application (updated 01/21/2021)
A public organization member is an organization with an interest in organ donation or transplantation and must have been in operation for at least one year. This application is for public organizations to join or renew.
- Public organization membership application (updated 01/21/2021)
A business member must be an organization in operation for at least one year that engages in commercial activities with two or more active OPTN transplant hospital, OPO, or histocompatibility laboratory members. This application is for businesses to join or renew.
- Business membership application (updated 01/21/2021)
An individual member must be a person who meets any of the criteria detailed in Article I, Section 1.8. This application is for individual members to join or renew.
- Individual membership application (updated 01/21/2021)
VCA application resources
This application reflects new criteria involved in the upcoming changes to the OPTN VCA Bylaws. Transplant hospitals with more than one VCA program will need to complete a separate application for each of the body part categories they wish to perform. For more information, please refer to the combined policy notice.
How to prepare
If you know of a departure to your organization’s key personnel, please notify UNOS Membership as soon as possible of the change.
Membership applications are based on the OPTN Bylaws. Refer to bylaws often for clarification on application requirements.