Text updated: March 1, 2021
- Transplant program directors, administrators, coordinators, compliance and quality officers, and clinical support staff
- OPO CEOs, medical directors, procurement directors and coordinators, compliance and quality officers
- Lab directors and general supervisors
- Primary data coordinators
- Patient safety contacts
- Member representatives and alternate representatives
Implementation date: March 1, 2021
The OPTN has implemented a series of policy changes to align with the 2020 U.S. Public Health Service Guideline for assessing solid organ donors and monitoring transplant recipients for HIV, hepatitis B (HBV), and hepatitis C (HCV).
Please see the January pre-implementation notice for an overview of the changes. Additional information below addresses resources available to members.
A resource toolkit is available here on the OPTN website. It houses summary information about what members need to do and contains a number of resource and reference materials. We will continue to update it with additional information as it becomes available.
Webinar recording available
A recording of the informational webinar held February 24 is available in UNOS Connect. It is posted in the Patient Safety section and entitled SFT129: Align OPTN Policy with 2020 PHS: Implementation.
Additional education and resources
- A frequently asked questions document is available and will continue to be updated to address additional topics, including input from the February 24 webinar.
- A preview is available of changes to the OPTN Evaluation Plan that will result from the newly added and updated policies.
- Two educational offerings are available on UNOS Connect:
- SFT127: PHS Guidelines in OPTN Policy
- SFT128: Talking About Risk Criteria for Disease Transmission
- OPTN policy notice: Align OPTN Policy with US Public Health Service Guideline, 2020
- 2020 PHS Guideline
- Crosswalk between 2013 and 2020 PHS Guideline and OPTN policies
For policy-related questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Organ Center is available 24 hours a day at 800-292-9537.