The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) is hosting a webinar for kidney transplant professionals on March 15, 2023, with information about the OPTN Board’s recent policy action requiring programs to modify waiting time for candidates affected by race-inclusive eGFR calculations.
OPTN eGFR Wait Time Modification Education Webinar for Transplant Professionals
- 2-3 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023
- Register now
- The webinar will be recorded and made available for later viewing on the OPTN website
The webinar will help kidney transplant programs understand what they need to do to comply with the policy action, including:
- Identifying Black candidates who may have been impacted by the use of a race-based eGFR calculation
- Determining whether a race-neutral eGFR calculation shows a candidate should have qualified sooner to start gaining waiting time for a transplant
- Communicating with patients about the policy changes and potential impacts to waiting time
- Applying to the OPTN for a waiting time modification for such candidates
- Submitting an attestation to the OPTN that they have completed all of these steps
The OPTN Minority Affairs and Kidney Transplantation Committees co-sponsored the proposal, which was unanimously approved by the Board in December 2022.
The policy action aims to improve transplant equity, and requires programs to comply by Jan. 3, 2024. Find more information in FAQs for professionals.