On August 10, 2017, the approved changes to simultaneous liver-kidney allocation policy will take effect. This change creates medical eligibility criteria for adult candidates seeking both a liver and a kidney, which means you will have to document and report new information. The new Waitlist fields have been available in UNet since May 31.
We have a number of resources and training materials available to help you prepare for this policy change. You may also contact your regional administrator at any time with questions at 804-782-4800.
Online training opportunities
- Policy training: Familiarize yourself with how policy is changing. Visit UNOS Connect>Course catalog>Liver category>Simultaneous Liver Kidney (SLK) Policy Changes.
- System training: Learn about the new fields in the UNet system and how to complete them. Visit UNOS Connect>Course catalog>UNet system category>Waitlist Functionality for New Simultaneous Liver-Kidney (SLK).
- OPO Allocation for Simultaneous Liver-Kidney (SLK), available July 14, 2018. OPOs can learn about the policy changes for SLK allocation and the requirements to allocate these organs together. Visit UNOS Connect>Course catalog>Liver category>OPO Allocation for Simultaneous Liver-Kidney (SLK).
- SLK Town Hall: Tuesday, July 18 from 2 – 3:30p.m. You’ll have the chance to ask subject matter experts from the transplant community about the upcoming policy change. UNOS staff will also be available to answer your questions. Find out what you need to do to prepare. Register in advance on UNOS Connect>Course catalog>Live webinars.
You can find a complete set of reference materials on the OPTN website to help you prepare for the changes including:
- Policy notice and proposal background
- System notice explaining what will look different in UNet
- SLK evaluation plan preview
- Policy language—a clean version of how the policy language will read after implementation