- Heart transplant program directors and administrators
- Heart transplant program clinical directors
- Heart Review Board members
- Heart transplant program data coordinators
- Heart transplant program clinical coordinators
- Oct. 27, 2022
These updates clarify requirements of a candidate’s initial and extension status assignment in response to the heart transplant community’s questions. This implementation aligns the adult heart justification and extension forms within WaitlistSM (UNetSM) with the new policy changes. These changes and status form updates include:
- Status 1 Criteria 3 – Mechanical Circulatory Support Device (MCSD) with Life Threatening Ventricular Arrhythmia
- Timeframe of second criterion updated from 14 to 7 days
- Time at status updated from 14 to 7 days
- Status 3 Criteria 4 – Mechanical Circulatory Support Device (MCSD) with Pump Thrombosis
- Eligibility criteria updated to align with new policy
- Time at status updated from 14 to 30 days
- Status 3 Criteria 5 Extension – Mechanical Circulatory Support Device (MCSD) with Right Heart Failure
- Timeframe of extension updated from 14 to 90 days
- Status 3 Criteria 6 – Mechanical Circulatory Support Device (MCSD) with Device Infection
- Several criteria updated to include requiring IV antibiotics
- New recurrent debridement criterion added with associated extension timeframe of 90 days
- Status 3 – New Criteria 13 – Mechanical Circulatory Support Device (MCSD) with Life Threatening Ventricular Arrhythmia After 7 Days
- New criteria added to align with new policy regarding MCSD support
What you need to do
Transplant hospitals that maintain adult heart candidates should familiarize themselves with the policy changes for utilizing the realigned statuses and extensions in the candidate record.
If you have a candidate listed at either Status 1 criterion 3 or Status 3 criterion 4 or 5, you must submit a new form in order to extend the status for your candidate. Adult heart status justification forms and extensions that were completed prior to Oct. 27 will not reflect these changes.
Education and resources
Read the policy notice for further details.
Updated help documentation is available on Waitlist. PDF reference documents within UNet also reflect changes to the status justification forms and extensions.
For policy-related questions, contact [email protected].
The Organ Center is available 24 hours a day at 800-292-9537.