Important COVID-19 updates and latest data
Keeping patients safe
Find alerts, policies and guidance to keep transplant patients safe and reduce the risk for disease transmission here:
Patient safety resources
PDDTE policy changes – effective 9/1/2016
- Policy notice
- Pathogens of special interest
- FDA-cleared assays, used to determine toxoplasmosis immune status or diagnosis
- Zika virus information for organ donation and transplant professionals (7/2016)
- Frequently asked questions about the 2013 PHS guideline
- West Nile Virus risk factors and evaluating potential living donors
- Recognizing central nervous system infections in potential deceased organ donors
- HTLV-1 screening and confirmation in potential donors and reporting potential HTLV-1 infection
- Recognizing seasonal and geographically endemic infections in organ donors; considerations during living donor evaluation
- OPTN policy 5: organ offers, acceptance, and verification (6/2016)
- System changes related to ABO verification policy are now in place (6/2016)
- OPO Pre-Recovery Verification Template (added 6/28/2016)
- ABO Subtyping Organ Donors for Blood Groups A and AB
- Living Donor OR Verification template (revised 5/2017)
- Recipient OR Verification template (revised 5/2017)
- ABO donor recipient compatibility chart (added 4/2016)
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) suggested data fields (revised 5/2016)
- Update for OPOs about TransNet labels for extra vessels (12/4/2018)
- OPOs must use sterile internal labels for extra vessels beginning 9/1/2015 (Updated 2/1/2019)
- Policy 16: Organ and Vessel Packaging, Labeling, Shipping, and Storage
Labels (begin using on Mar. 1, 2021)
Root cause analysis
Important patient safety notices
Some of the adverse events reported have been related to cardiothoracic surgery, although other reports did not specify the procedure.
On August 10 we implemented policy changes related to screening donor organs for infectious diseases. As a result, if your candidate was listed as willing to accept a Hepatitis B Core antibody positive organ, then the system also indicated YES for willingness to accept an HBV NAT positive organ.
We sent the following system notice to UNet users today (Wed. Aug. 12). Please read it carefully if your center needs UNOS to help you update the infectious disease acceptance criteria on your candidate records to reflect that you are NOT willing to accept an organ from a donor who is HBV NAT positive and/or HCV NAT positive.
Patient safety situation reporting system gets makeover. Ready by end of May 2014.
You should locate and remove from your facility any product from the lot specified in the recall.
Some bladder irrigation and urinary drainage products manufactured by Hospira Inc. recalled.
Manufacturer will replace any kits you have to destroy, free of charge.
Please help us eliminate this practice and the patient safety risks that go along with it
Recall Notice: Sarns High-Flow Aortic Arch Cannula, Sarns Flexible Arterial Cannula, Sarns Antegrade Cardioplegia Cannula
Terumo Cardiovascular Systems Corporation (Terumo CVS) has issued a recall notice for units of the <a href="http://www.
Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. has issued a limited, voluntary recall notice on specific lots of ViaSpan cold storage solution bags.